Here I am, nearly finished my first month as an intern. Time has gone by so fast! It is hard to believe how much I’ve done in these past few weeks, you kind of have to stop and think about all you’ve learned to realize all that you have actually learned. Everything is just so much fun!
Things I have done:
1) Mailed press kits and book packages – this includes figuring out the perfect way to put together press kits of many different sizes.
2) Ordered books – which means I now know the appropriate way one should make book requests for blogs and articles, etc.
3) Sent out book cover pictures and author photos to writers, magazines, and newspapers. For some reason, I never even thought you could ask a publishing company to do this. I just figured you would have to take a picture of the book yourself…
4) Write a press release – okay, it was only copy and pasting the information to make it match the previous press release for the other books in the series. I wonder if anyone writes them up themselves?
5) Conquered the photocopier – Okay, so no one can actually win against that thing (it beeps crazily at you when angry!), but I did manage to unjam it so that it was working again.
6) Been to a publicity meeting – If you don’t have the list of books being covered that day, you may have no idea what book anyone is talking about as they often just say “how about this next book”. Nevertheless, always interesting.
7) Attended a book launch – I had to help set up before hand (food, drinks, etc) and taken pictures of the event. If you are asked to send pictures to anyone, be sure to send not only the best ones, but the ones who have important people in them… This means you should also learn who the important people are who will be there!
8) Organized the book room – Should you find yourself with nothing to do, the book room always needs a system (such as alphabetization), dusting, and constant shelving.
9) Received free books – If you mention that you’d like to read a certain book, even in passing, you just might be given the book (should there be any extras). It’s like Christmas everyday that happens!
10) I will be going on an author escort later today and can hardly wait!